About Monro Muffler Brake & Service
Headquartered in Rochester, New York, Monro serves all of the Mid-Atlantic and New England states and portions of the Great Lakes, Midwest and Southeast. The company’s footprint extends from Maine to South Carolina and as far west as Missouri.
Monro offers complete auto care at a significant savings compared to dealers and local repair shops. In fact, Monro stands behind a lowest price guarantee for all scheduled maintenance, repairs, and tires. Core product and service offerings include oil changes, brakes, shocks and struts, mufflers and wheel alignments. All stores sell at least a basic line of the most popular tire brands and models. Tire sales is an increasingly important share of Monro’s business and nearly half of the company’s stores now carry extensive inventories of tires to meet customer demand.
Monro has been a pioneer in the auto service industry since company founder, Charles J. “Chuck” August, opened his first muffler shop in Rochester in 1957. The facility was one of the first Midas Muffler franchises, but August soon chafed at the company’s mufflers-only business model. He understood that service sells.
In 1966, August ended his affiliation with Midas so that he could offer an expanded menu of undercar repair and maintenance services. He launched a new company with his brother Burton S. August and Sheldon Lane and renamed the small chain of stores “Monro Muffler,” after Monroe County, New York, but without the “e.” As the company added products and services, its name changed to Monro Muffler Brake and later Monro Muffler Brake & Service.
By 1977, Monro managed 20 stores and began to make a number of acquisitions. An investor group led by Peter J. Solomon and Donald Glickman purchased a controlling interest in the company in 1984. At that time, Monro operated 59 stores, primarily in upstate New York. In 1991, the company went public and its stock began trading on NASDAQ under the stock symbol MNRO. With capitalization, the company was able to build more stores and to acquire promising local and regional auto service chains in adjoining states.
Under the leadership of Robert G. Gross, who joined Monro as president and chief executive officer in 1998, the company accelerated acquisitions and steadily increased sales and profitability. Gross was appointed chairman of the board in 2007, and assumed the role of executive chairman in 2012. The record of success continues under the management of John W. Van Heel, who was appointed president in 2008, and chief executive officer in 2012.
Monro Muffler Brake, Inc. was incorporated in the State of New York in 1959. Monro’s principal executive offices are located at 200 Holleder Parkway, Rochester, New York 14615, and its telephone number is (585) 647-6400.