Driving Conditions Improve But Be Ready For Showers.
- Time to switch to your all-season radial tires. Soft winter tires wear fast in temperatures above 45 degrees.
- As you put away your winter treads, it’s the perfect time to buy new tires.
- If you put off servicing your car because of the snow, that excuse just melted away. Monro’s Oil Change & More service includes a new oil filter and FREE tire rotation, brake inspection and tire pressure check.
- Steer around the potholes if you can; after the roads are patched have our technicians check your vehicle’s alignment.
- Slow down and increase your following distance during spring showers. Watch for pedestrians who cannot see or hear as well in the rain.
- Use low beam headlights in foggy conditions. High beams reflect from raindrops and fog, actually making it harder to see.
- Avoid large puddles of water which are as dangerous as patches of ice. Your car can hydroplane on the surface. Splashing water also affects your brakes and makes it difficult for other drivers to see.
- Keep your tires inflated to the correct pressure for safer handling, longer tire life and up to 3% better gas mileage.*
- Don’t get steamed. Ask a tech at Monro to check the level and condition of your coolant. Your radiator could be due for a flush and fill, which we recommend every two years or 30,000 miles.
- Also, have a pro check your car air conditioner. Select Monro automotive centers now offer A/C service.
Warm weather driving presents a different set of challenges compared to the slippery roads of winter. Most of us drive on all-season radials that are designed to handle the heat, highway miles, and sudden downpours.
Studies show that a tire’s traction on wet pavement drops off significantly once the tread wears to about half its original depth. Most passenger car tires start with 10/32 inch. To make certain your tires are still capable of sluicing away spring showers, try the Quarter test. It’s 4/32 of an inch between the coin rim and the top of Washington’s head. Turn our founding father upside down into your tire grooves, checking several spots.
If the tread covers part of his head, you're o.k. If not, it’s time to shop for new tires. Don’t wait until your tires reach the legal limit of 2/32 inch. All Monro stores sells the most popular tire brands and models and many locations have more extensive inventories – search for your spring tires now!
With rising gas prices, you might be interested in models that can actually boost fuel efficiency. Goodyear Assurance® Fuel® Max® tires have a low rolling resistance and are specifically designed to eek out extra mpg. It’s estimated that up to 15% of a car’s fuel consumption is used to overcome rolling resistance.**
Our tire experts at Monro look forward to assisting you in the selection of a dependable set of spring tires, designed to fit your vehicle and the way you drive. Give us a call or request an appointment online today!